Saturday, July 4, 2009

All Japanese all the time

It really is hard to get my brain to work with a different alphabet. Good thing I have buckets of inspiration available at the amazing blog All Japanese All the Time. This is a blog by a guy who became fluent in Japanese within 18 months. By "fluent" I mean that he got a job at a software company in Japan, and when he talks on the phone to Japanese people, they can't tell that he's a foreigner.

Go to the Table of Contents on AJATT and start reading. Just do it. I think that it's AJATT that really inspired me to start Korean, because without reading what Khatzumoto has to say about language learning, I doubt I would've had the confidence to begin. AJATT has extremely helpful information on how to actually learn a language - rather than the dead, sanitized, stuffed version of language available in textbooks. I'm really excited about Khatzumoto's intense, immersive method of learning language through fun, native materials like books, radio, and news. It sounds far more effective than those awful fill-in-the-blank workbooks that I used in high school French.

No comments:

Post a Comment