Thursday, July 23, 2009

Downloading Anki

I just downloaded Anki onto my computer so I don't have to worry about times when my Internet stops working. Though the online version has worked wonderfully for me so far, the downloadable version has sweet features, like allowing yourself to learn more than 20 new cards a day. You can synchronize your online and offline Anki and even hook it up to your phone somehow. I normally still use it in the online format because the on-the-computer user interface kind of annoys me. But I synchronize all the time so that if I lose Internet, I'll still be caught up on flashcards.

I create all my own flashcards, but that's because there weren't really any Korean decks that I trusted or that made sense - I want to learn words that I think are useful, not the selections of some random person who's hung up on words like "airplane" and "menu." ("Useful" meaning "recognizable on food labels and in kpop songs I listen to at work.") Plus it's really fast to just type up Korean words since I'm not doing anything with hanja.

No comments:

Post a Comment