Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Pronunciation and romanization

I've successfully learned basic hangul in one week! I'm learning rules for whole word pronunciation now, thanks to BusyAtom. Words are a lot harder to figure out than individual syllables! Some words are written one way but pronounced differently because Koreans seem to be rather lazy speakers. For instance, ㅅ normally sounds like "s" or "sh" or "z" or "t" depending on the syllable. But in certain words for "this," "that," and "it," it's pronounced as "n."

I'm beginning to realize that Korean romanization is pretty useless because many Korean sounds are between English sounds. For instance, there are three different "p" sounds; the name of one Korean city is romanized as both "Busan" and "Pusan." It's driving me crazy that a lot of the "Learn Korean" websites I've found rely extensively on romanization. It distracts me from the hangul, and then I picture the romanized version of a word or letter combination instead of the correct hangul version. I must find a way to escape all this romanization.

No comments:

Post a Comment