Friday, July 24, 2009

Sentences and grammar

Khatzumoto's 10,000-sentence method is kind of intimidating, but I have a feeling it'll be the best way to combine vocabulary and grammar learning - especially particle use. The trouble is finding places to get sentences. Song lyrics typically aren't complete sentences, and trying to transcribe from Korean film could be laden with inaccuracies. What I really need is Korean movies/dramas with exact Korean subtitles in hangul, because then I could watch it with English subs and every time a good sentence came up, I could pause, go to the same place in the Korean-sub version, and then look up the words and figure out the grammar. And then enter it into my "sentences" section on Anki, which is currently in the single digits. My sentence section wouldn't exist at all if it weren't for some priceless sample sentences on Luke Park's Korean grammar site. "Jun-young runs." "Jun-young drinks water." Are we excited yet, people?!?!!

Korean grammar is so different than English grammar. What's with all these particles? You know how on Facebook there are bumper stickers that say "Bros before hoes?" I want one that says "Particles before articles."

My library is useless! In the whole library system, all they have are a few learn-Korean audio tapes, one Korean textbook, and one or two Korean-English dictionaries. I managed to get one of the Korean dictionaries, but someone else is using the textbook (plus I hate textbooks and it's really outdated), and I don't have any way of playing audio tapes. I don't think they have any native Korean-language materials at all, though I might try to find some Korean children's books at the main downtown library this afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. hi~
    I'm Korean man living in FL now.
    E-mail me if you interested in language exchange, or just a korean friend.
    siyoung614@naver.com

    ReplyDelete