Friday, July 10, 2009

Korean talk radio

I've started listening to Korean radio at work. It's strange to hear a stream of Korean speech for about 7 hours straight, punctuated by Korean songs. It's frustrating to understand literally nothing, but I suppose I'll keep faith in Khatzumoto's insistence that just hearing it is good for you. I have to admit, it's probably a good way to start becoming familiar with what a normal Korean speech cadence sounds like - plus hearing words go by at normal to fast speed, rather than the slow, exaggerated fashion typical of language learning materials. From what I know of Korean speech levels, it sounds like everyone on the radio speaks pretty formally.

I must confess that I like the songs best, and sometimes station-jump to find more music and less talking... Masan MBC FM 98.9 has been a pretty decent station. Seoul Top Radio has a bad habit of playing lots of American songs, but Masan seems to stick with mostly Korean.

No comments:

Post a Comment