Saturday, July 11, 2009

Two grammar resources

I have found two truly amazing grammar resources. I'm not focusing too much on grammar right now - I agree with Khatzumoto that grammar rules can't fully communicate the logic of a language - but I do think it's important. So far, I'm not pressuring myself to memorize anything, but I look up grammar to understand verb endings I hear in songs, for instance. It's very helpful to have grammar resources to describe, after the fact, the patterns that I see and hear.

Luke Park's Guide to Korean Grammar is a well-organized site with enough charts and tables to thrill any grammarian (like me). But it also has plenty of example sentences, clear explanations, and even some nice audio clips. I find myself referencing this site constantly, and there's enough material here that I know it will be helpful beyond the beginner level.

Luke Park can be almost too concise sometimes, so to fill in some of the gaps, I've been using a Learn Korean Language website. This site offers a lot more explanation about certain grammatical concepts, particularly verbs and the irregular verbs "to be" and "to have/exist." Between these two sites, I've found that most of my everyday grammar needs are being fulfilled so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment